Table Of Contents

Friday, July 27, 2007

no. 014 [my forklift...]


"In The Sun" by Joseph Arthur

The topic of learning is nothing new to my blogs. Neither is disappointment. So this one really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

When I started working at Basalite last year I was the new kid, I was scared out of my mind, and I knew absolutely nothing. I think what made last year easy for me was the fact that Thong (my old boss/my "Dr. Cox") took me under his wing and was my mentor, my teacher, and my teammate. By the end of my time at Basalite last year I was dubbed "The Golden Boy", because I could do anything, and I did it well. I actually liked my job. This year is a little different.

I think it was the thought of being welcomed back that threw me off. The night shift had no idea who I was, to them I was just another temp, another new kid. When I started off I came in with a cocky, take no shit attitude.

Junior (my new boss) was quick to knock me off my high horse, and bring me back down to Earth. He realized my strengths, and had me work on my weaknesses. I hated doing that, because it made me very aware of one simple fact, that I wasn't "The Golden Boy" anymore. I got so good at doing one thing, that I was afraid of doing anything else. I think that as soon as one really sees themselves, they become someone else, someone that they didn't think that they were.

In trying to open up my eyes, Junior put me on the forklift, and wanted me to teach myself how to drive it. Long story short, Malcolm was my only real friend on the night shift, and he was also our forklift driver. He was fired for not passing a drug test. So Junior chose me to be the new forklift driver.

I hated that no one would help me. I thought the idea of learning on your own was stupid, until Junior showed me something that I will never forget.

I came upon a pigeon on it's back, it was trying to get up from a fall. As I approached it to help it up Junior held me back, and said "No, it has to do it on it's own, or else it will never really learn."

I knew at that moment that he wasn't just talking about the pigeon. I guess that if we always have someone holding our hand through something we'll never really be able to do it on our own.

I guess it's the sense of being alone that makes it that much more difficult. But we all have to find our own way. And as I left that pigeon alone, I couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted it to be okay, and for it to get up and fly away. But I guess no matter what we do it will always end up the same. God has laid out a path for us, and we will all reach the goal in the end. As I came back to work the next morning I checked the spot where the pigeon was, and there was nothing. I'm not sure if it made it through, all I'm sure of is whatever it was meant to do, it did.

So that day Junior was going to put me on the line again, but I climbed into the forklift instead. I had a hard time, but I tried my hardest. I had some bumps in the road, and knocked over a couple of pallets, but I picked them back up, brick by brick, and continued on, all by myself.

I think if we keep at it nothing can hold us back. Everyone has their obstacles that they have to overcome, whether it's school, family problems, moving out, feeling alone, relationships, or learning to drive a forklift. Never quit, and try your hardest. I think that I have taken more from this job in the past month than I have in the past three months that I have worked here. I think it's when you can take something more than just a paycheck from your job that it becomes more than just a job. It's when you can take a lesson, a mentor, and more importantly, a friend, that's when a job becomes something else.

And as things seem to slow down, I just hope that I'm on track, and no matter what happens I'll find my own way, and do what God intended me to do.

chow.mein.lesson.learned.

1 comment:

  1. What's up with chow.mein.lesson.learned on like almost all of you're beginning blogs? Lol it's so random. So you :P

    ReplyDelete