Table Of Contents

Friday, August 24, 2007

no. 015 [my last day...]


"Work" by Jimmy Eat World


I came into my last day of work tired, beaten, and excited. I just wanted those eight hours to go by as fast as possible so that I could leave. I was more focused on what was ahead, rather than what was at hand.

In a way I had learned a lot from working at Basalite. I hated working there, but I also enjoyed it. As weird as it sounds, it's the truth. I think the best thing about working there this year was that I learned something from each of my co-workers. I learned that being lazy never ever pays off; I learned to keep a close eye on the future, because if I'm not careful I could end up exactly like one of them; I learned that giving respect is truly the only way to gain respect; I learned that I shouldn't give a shit about what people think, more importantly what people that I don't care about think of me; and I think the most important lesson by far was that as long as you believe in yourself, you can accomplish anything, whether it's getting through 2 ½ hard months, putting up with annoying lazy people, battling your co-workers, battling yourself, learning to drive a forklift, or dealing with the fact that being the best isn't important.

It goes back to the previous blog, I think the best thing about working there this year isn't that I had a new mentor, or that I learned new things; its that along with the experience, the knowledge, and the paychecks, I took memories, jokes, and more importantly new friends.

Despite how much I loathed working there, I'll actually miss it. When I left last year I had no feelings towards leaving, it was just over and done with. This year it's a lot different. It's nice, because I know that I've come a long way from where I was a year ago.

Of course there aren't always happy endings, there's always something, or in this case someone to ruin the moment. At least I was surprised, because out of my five co-workers, four of them actually shook my hand, yes, even Craig.

I came in wanting to leave as soon as possible, and I ended up wishing that it wouldn't end like this. I guess the grass is always greener, but I'm not going to walk away from this one with any regrets. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing. These past two and a half months have been a crazy ride, but the next ten days should very well add onto all of the excitement.

As I drove away that night (after all of the damn battery trouble), I thought about everything I had experienced working there this summer. From the characters, to the many breakdowns, the jokes, the broken pallets, the dirt, the struggles, the fun, and the laughs, it all came down to one thing, I was glad it was over.

chow.mein.lesson.learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment