Table Of Contents

Sunday, February 6, 2011

no. 065 [superman...]




















"Superman" by Five For Fighting

I think it takes a lot for people to admit that they are wrong, that they need help, that they aren't strong enough, or that they aren't the person that they used to be. I think it's a little harder when you see the role you want to play, the role someone else wants you to fill, and knowing that you just can't do it.

I don't think we as human beings like to pretend. We know what we like, and most of us know who we are, and what we want. But what happens when who we are keeps us from what we want?

We can play make-believe all we want. We can pretend that we like our dead-end jobs, we can fool ourselves into thinking that walking the dog is enough exercise for one day, we can settle for what we already have, play it safe for fear of losing, or what have you. But how happy will you be at the end of the day?

I think some people would be happy with the norm, but I don't buy it for a second that most wouldn't strive for something more. I think deep down we are all looking for the same thing; to be happy. To be happy with who we are, who we're with, and how we got there.

The hardest thing is to realize who you are and knowing that who you have become will not allow you to have what you ultimately want; because when all is said and done the happiness won't be there. I can pretend to be your Superman all you want, and you can pretend to be my Lois Lane, but in the end I'll just be a man in a funny red sheet. And as much as it may suck to walk away from it all, and to admit this, it needs to be done. Because tonight Superman is gone, and all that's left is me. Take it or leave it.

I think deep down we all have the power to be heroes, but the first people we need to save are ourselves. I will wish you the best of luck in your own battle, but tonight I must begin my own. I can't be your Superman anymore, as much as I want to. Will the caped crusader ever return? Only time will tell. But for now all I can offer is a helping hand and the guidance of a friend, who is equally as hurt and as broken. I guess if I can't be your Superman I can at least be your shoulder to cry on; even if it hurts me.

Hopefully one day I will fly high again, but until that day comes I will find solace in knowing that men weren't meant to ride with clouds beneath their feet. I think the second we start being true to ourselves, that's the second we have the power to save the world. You can sit there and call me crazy, but even heroes have the right to dream.

2 comments:

  1. I hate you. this is now my favorite blog. it made me laugh and made me cry and I don't want to read anyone because my eyes are so blurry I can't read the freaken screen. You and the fact you relate to superman and the scarecrow and all the yellow brick road crap and how you can't be all these things for her and how she isn't realizing what you're saying to her is pissing me off! and making me so sad for you. fuck Antony! just fuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. This made me seriously cry. Did you plan for it to be as long as the song is? Because I read the last line just as the song was ending. I get it now. I don't overly agree with you, but I understand. I'm sorry for being such a bitch to you these last few days. I hope you get exactly what you want, because you deserve to be happy.

    ReplyDelete